Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Aches and Pains, Tofutsies, Stitches

So, apparently I knit too much. My daughter informed me of this last month, as I went back to the house to retrieve my knitting as we were leaving to go run errands (one never knows when one will be able to get in a couple of rows, eh?)
"Mommy, you don't have to knit all the time!" she said, exasperated.

"That's what I tell myself!" I replied, as I fetched my socks. "But it doesn't work," I added.

Well, now, my left arm and shoulder hurt. I know it's from knitting because it only hurts on that side, and I'm a picker. I also know I don't sit right when I knit, that I don't stretch enough, etc. I actually had to stop knitting for a few days. I don't know how I accomplished it. (Yes, I do. It actually hurt to knit.)

I'm back knitting now but trying to take it a bit easier. Still, I did get a significant amount accomplished during my knitting frenzy.

More on the Yarntini Jaywalkers for my girl...

A pair of Tofutsies:

I'm not sure how I feel about this yarn. On the good side I love the colors, and the yarn works up into a very nice, soft, dense fabric that I'm sure will wear well (I tend to knit all my socks on zero needles, though, save for thicker sock yarn like jitterbug). Also, there's an INCREDIBLE amount of yardage, so it's a good value. I believe I could get a whole other pair of adult socks from what I have left. On the bad side...well it's incredibly, terribly splitty. Splitty with a capital "S". Splitty, splitty, splitty.

I also worked on Terrie's sweater. I'd put that down for a bit in favor of other projects, but it's back again, and almost finished save for one arm and the collar. I am not liking my finishing job on the one arm, though, so I will probably pull that and redo it. I don't know how, but I will.


Then there's some new and ongoing projects...my first log cabin blanket, for my daughter in Knit Picks Sierra, a yarn I see they've discontinued. Yeah, it looks a bit wonky, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm going to block the hell out of it when it's done, and hopefully the wonkiness will disappear. I was sort of playing things by ear at the beginning.

I got the Sierra at a great price, about $2.99 a hank for 100 grams. It's a decent yarn but I was expecting it to be softer because of the alpaca. Still, my daughter really likes the colors and I know she's going to drag it around all over and cuddle under it. At least once it gets under 100 around here.

I've started the beginnings of a mitered scarf, too, in Patons SWS...

One of the things at Stitches that I did was take an all-day class in mitered knitting, taught by Ginger Luters. Very, very good class. I'm a visual learner, but also a kinesthetic one, and books alone don't do it for me. I bought Ginger's book as soon as I got home.

Stitches overall was an incredible experience, especially the market. I didn't buy much (some Blue Moon Lightweight in Jingle Bell Rock, and some gorgeous mohair/wool from Textiles a Mano). But I spent hours there, just browsing. Louet had set up a booth and I even hand-dyed a bit of yarn there. Lots of fun.

The other class I took was about gauge, and I can't fault the class but I knew everything already. Next time at Stitches I need to take more particularized classes, like the gansey and the miter class.

Also in Chicago I had big fun with my grad school pals Doris and Scott, who both loved the jitterbug socks I made for them. Had Thai food three times, which was still not enough for me!!!

:^)

And of course I had to order more yarn from Woolgirl. Some Union Center Knits in Woolgirl...

Some "Three Irish Girls" in Maureen:

Some Zen String Serendipity Fingering in Dahlia...

And I'm also expecting some Miss Babs as well. Jen's service is the best! I do have too much yarn, of course, but I am eyeing the Dashing Dachs (all sold out) greedily, and plan to make another purchase then.

I love knitting socks, and I give most of them away, so I can't be too angry with myself for buying yarn. I do need to buy more in masculine colorways, though!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I hang on every word of your knitting blog, Leslie--and I know NOTHING about knitting (except that the socks that you made for me are absolutely the coolest gift I've ever gotten. But you certainly should try to stretch and walk around more to make sure you don't injure yourself. I adore you.

dianna from SK said...

I don't know much about blog etiquette, but I am going to say here that I chortled and giggled about the comment you left on the harlots blog and have therefore put this blog on my list of favorites.

Dianna from SK

Jenn said...

Beautiful colors in the mitered scarf.