Thursday, July 19, 2007

Born a Ramblin' Knitter

Been all over this past couple of weeks, including Manchester, NH, where I attended the a day-long workshop at on ganseys hosted by Beth Brown-Reinsel at the TKGA conference . Primo. And here is a pic of my little gansey:
Okay, so I didn't knit all of it within the confines of the six-hour workshop, but I did knit the entire body and one of the sleeves. The other sleeve, plus the neck (and weaving in about a thousand ends) was knitted in my hotel room that night. Then I washed and blocked it. Had to buy blocking pins (had a jones to block), and blocked both the teensy gansey and the lace scarf I've been knitting for my best friend's 41st birthday at the end of this month. It was to be for my cousin's birthday last month, but, well, she ended up getting the socks I was knitting for my friend to give her next month.

Ain't that always the way? The scarf:



The simplest lace pattern known to man, as you might guess. Kid silk haze. I think the color is "vino" or something like it. I'm very sure that I need to block it again, as it has been folded up rather haphazardly in my suitcase for the past ten days.

Okay, so back to the conference. I loved the workshop with Beth--she was very accessible and tried to make sure everyone progressed and understood what was going on. I was very happy and proud to see that I was not the pokiest knitter there, but I fell somewhere in the middle of the pack. Truthfully, I've only been knitting seriously for less than two years, so I was worried that I would just fall behind, especially considering that some of the people there were lifelong knitters. But I did well enough. Learned a new provisional cast-on that I used for some socks. In fact, these socks:



Colinette Jitterbug, bought on my trip in this colorway (whatever it is--I forget) and copperbeech. I used the provisional cast on because we've all heard stories about the yardage of Jitterbug, haven't we? But I managed to get a decent cuff on both, and even decided to stop knitting before all the yarn was gone.

One of the best parts was meeting other knitters. Met Kimberly, who blogs Somebunnyslove. We started blabbing after classes on Thursday and didn't stop. Even ended up going to dinner together before the show. She initiated me to the wonders of Ravelry, for which she is an editor and I mere lowly person on the beta waiting list (number 109,354,832, I think). I am hoping I never get on Ravelry because I think my entire life will disappear into it. It's a black hole.

As for the show--well I bought surprisingly little yarn. One skein. One silly little skein. I'm already knitting socks with it. Here:
Tess' sock yarn. Very reasonably priced ($15), and I really like the way it's knitting up. I'm not a fan of pooling, but this yarn doesn't really pool. It sort of shades, or something, at least the way I'm knitting it now, with only 64 stitches around. I started out at 80 and that was waaaay too big. Looked different then. Not bad. Just different. I like this better.

I visited many yarn shops during my travels, but brought home only three skeins total. Also bought some more sock needles, short and plastic. The ponys snag a bit, truthfully.

So it's been a very knitterly week! I am going to be at Stitches Midwest next month as well. After that, my knitting travels will probably be over for a good long while. But up soon...another contest! Yay!

1 comment:

Morandia said...

LOVE the finished socks! great site! never come across you before. Will definitely come back!